Once a month, beginning in late 2007, Natasha Deen, Christina Carlson, and Barb O'Brien began meeting at Capillano library to read each other’s works, catch up on industry news, and support each other through the challenge of writing and heartbreak of rejections. Thus began the Edmonton Writers’ Group.
The EWG now has about thirty members (but this fluctuates a bit), but the warm, welcoming environment, the attitude of “honest critics mixed with gentle grace and lots of humour” remains. We welcome writers of both fiction and non-fiction. In all genres and types, from romance to horror, poetry to screenwriting, fiction and non-fiction.
If you have any questions, please contact .
Meeting TimesThe Edmonton Writers' Group holds their meetings on first and third Thursday of each month at the Capilano Branch of the Edmonton Public Library (200 Capilano Mall, 5615 101 Avenue Edmonton AB T6A 3Z7). Please check the Readers Schedule for specific dates. This branch is located in the North wing of the mall, on the second floor. Access is via elevator inside the mall just outside the TD Canada Trust Bank (or via stairs at the west doors between the TD Bank and the Credit Union. Meetings start at 7 PM, and go until 9 PM.
A typical meeting has us reading a few pages from various members' work, and giving constructive feedback with regard to plot, characterization, grammar, continuity, etc. Members are scheduled to read approximately 2-3 months in advance, and the work they submit could be a section they are having trouble with, a letter of inquiry, for example.
We also have meetings which deal with topics other than the mechanics of writing such as contracts, inquiry letters, finding an agent, talks about the various genres. For communications between meetings we run a closed list server.
Policies & ProceduresThank you for your interest in our group. If you are interested in visiting, it's important you note the following:
- We do not have any membership fees
- We have approximately 30 members in our group (with an average attendance of 15 to 20 at any given meeting). As such, all readings are scheduled ahead of time. Please come visit, but do not bring your work
- When you come to your first meeting, you will be added to our list-server (if you wish) so you can keep up with an announcements, etc.
- After 3 visits (not necessarily consecutive), you will be considered a member and be given access to other resources. You will also have a chance to schedule a reading (7 pages / 2300 words, double spaced, 1 inch margins). Duplex printing is encouraged to help save trees.
- If you miss 3 consecutive months without being in contact with the group, we will consider that you are no longer interested in being considered a member, and take you off our list and schedule
Work for review is brought to the group, then after the reading, returned to the author. This is to protect the artistic property of both the writers and readers.
Thank you for your understanding on these matters.