Friday 25 November 2011

NaNoWriMo: Day 25

Good morning folks:

As I posted yesterday, I finished this adventure. So I validated it on the NaNo site this morning a few minutes ago, and found out that their word counter differs a fair bit from that provided by Open Office. According to OO I came in at 56782, and NaNo validated at 55207, giving a different of 1575.

According to Open Office:

"In general, every string of characters between two spaces is a word. Tabs, line breaks, and paragraph breaks are word limits, too.
Words with dashes or always visible hyphens, as in plug-in, add-on, user/config, are counted as one word each.
The words can be a mix of letters, numbers, and special characters. So the following text counts as four words: abc123 1.23 "$" http://www.example.com."

I wonder how NaNo validates, as there is nothing on the site I could find to account for the discrepancy.

Have a good day, everybody!

4 comments:

  1. Interesting... we shall see if I squeak in when all's said and done. I'll write a few thousand extra probably for good measure.

    Hal : 42,124 words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work Howard on making your goal. Hal you are almost there as well!

    Jacquie 18,877 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, Jacquie & Hal, you guys are SSSOOO freakin' close to making it. Keep going!!

    Natasha 51,018

    PS
    Howard, I noticed the same thing with the verifying--it cut about 700 words from me, so I don't know how they count...plus, I found it frustrating trying to find the "validate me" button...as it turns out, it's under your word count, but I'd met the 50k before the tool was uploaded, so it wasn't until I started backtracking through the site that I found it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nastasha,

    The site does need a little bit of work. It took me a few tries to find the validate button as well.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are restricted to members of the blog due to the amount of spam being received.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.